Home » Student Hub » Pre-Arrivals » Student Health and Well-being


Everyone enjoys the excitement of starting at CATS Cambridge, but as time goes by, you may start to miss home. This is normal, and there are simple things you can do to help yourself adjust to School life.

We recommend:

  • Taking part in activities organised by the School to make friends with other students.
  • Staying in touch with home via email or telephone. Most of our students have contact with their families at least once a week. It might be helpful to fix a time to talk with your family every week, taking into account your timetable and the time difference with the UK.
  • Bringing photographs or items from home to decorate your room.
  • Most importantly of all, talk to us about how you are feeling. Your House Director, Personal Tutor, House Parent or the Welfare team will always be happy to listen and offer advice.
  • Remember, almost everyone feels homesick at some stage but help will always be close at hand.


If you feel unwell you will need to go and see the school nurse.

The school nurse will:

  • See you if you are feeling unwell or have a minor injury
  • Advise on healthcare and wellbeing concerns
  • Advise if you need to see a doctor
  • Authorise absence from class if you are too unwell to attend lessons


If you bring any medication into the UK, also carry a letter (translated into English) from your doctor explaining why you need the medicine and what it is for. Similarly, if you are undergoing any long-term medical treatment, you must also carry a letter from your doctor (translated into English) explaining. This letter can be shown to a relevant UK specialist if further treatment is needed.

Email medical@catscambridge.com before leaving to establish whether the medication you are taking is licensed for use in the UK, and to inform the School of any medical conditions. Students may also arrange to speak to the School Nurse directly. If you wear glasses or contact lenses, we also recommend that you bring a copy of your prescription.

UK medical services include: 

  • Consulting a GP (doctor)
  • Most other GP services, such as visiting a clinic for a non-emergency treatment in a hospital.

Even if you qualify for these free NHS services, you may still wish to take out private medical insurance. Sometimes it can take several days to get an appointment with an NHS GP, and there are long waiting lists for non-emergency NHS services. Some students will require insurance for certain medical services. 

The school medical team or out-of-hours boarding staff can help you in contacting NHS 111 services

Under the National Health Service (NHS), all students are entitled to free emergency hospital treatment in an Accident & Emergency department.

You do not need medical insurance for emergency care. The NHS also provides a full range of free, non-urgent healthcare services, but these services are only available to some students, depending on the terms of your visa. Private medical insurance could give you much quicker access to treatment if you need it.

Certain healthcare costs are not covered by the NHS. All students will have to pay for these at the point of delivery.

These include:

  • The prescription charge. Although the medicines themselves are free, each prescription is charged at £9.65 per item
  • Certain GP services such as travel vaccinations
  • Dental Treatment – Medical advice for any dental and optical treatment should be arranged during holidays upon return to your home country.

Please note: The £9.65 prescription charge is only for NHS patients – this applies to you if you become an NHS patient under the terms of your Student Visa. Prescription charges for private patients are considerably more.

A Standard Visitor Visa does not entitle you to free healthcare on the NHS. This means that you will need private medical insurance.

If you do not have private medical insurance, and you require non-urgent healthcare, you will be required to pay at the point of service. This can be extremely expensive, so it is very important to arrange your insurance before coming to the UK.

You should ensure that this insurance covers all additional costs that might result from illness, such as a flight home.